First of all every hopper out there will know the importance of binding jump to one of your mouse scrolls, or both, but i find it a lot easier just binding it to mousewheelup.
1. Navigate to your Portal cfg folder. The default location is :
3. Now go to File , Save As and save it in the cfg folder as : autoexec.cfg When you look at the two files, autoexec and config, in the cfg folder they should both have the same icon. If not you have done something wrong. Have a look at screenshot A
4. Open autoexec and firstly do a search (ctrl + f) for : mwheelup Make sure that mwheelup isn't bound to anything.
5. Now at the bottom of all the binds paste this : bind "MWHEELUP" "+jump" Look at screenshot B
6. Save changes and now you have sucessfully binded mousewheelup to jump.
Now then... this is how to bunnyhop. First watch this video, it shows how long it takes to walk to the elevator then it shows how much faster it is to bunnyhop.
1. Walk forwards and jump using space
2. Hold down crouch, and keep it held from now on
3. When in mid air do a 180° spin so that you are facing backwards
4. As you are about to land scroll the scroll wheel up.
5. After the first bounce continue to scroll the scroll wheel up as you are about to hit the ground. The key to this is getting a rhythm when scrolling up.
Remember : If you cant do it keep practicing. Portal bunyhopping is easier that most games but the only problem is you cant see where you are going. Good Luck :)
Well thats it, if you have any suggestions or problems that aren't covered in this tutorial feel free to pm me.
NOTE : This method of bunnyhopping also works with Half-Life 2 : Episode 2